salemoregon
  • Salem Oregon Visitor Center
  • Salem Oregon Community Guide
  • Salem Oregon Event Planning

  • Tour 1898 Thomas Kay Woolen Mill - Salem, Oregon

    Thomas Kay Woolen Mill Photograph

    The original Kay Woolen Mill opened in 1890 with a workforce of 50 who labored 60-hour weeks. In 1895, a fire destroyed much of the mill and outbuildings.

    In 1898 the mill had been rebuilt. Two additional stories were added in 1937. The rock and brickwork are worth examination by those with an interest in these trades.

    NEXT PAGE

    This is page one of a ninety-page tour.
    Or you can browse the site using links to the right.

  • TOP

  • Mission Mill Museum
  • Thomas Kay Woolen Mill
  • Jason Lee House - 1841
  • Methodist Parsonage - 1841
  • John D. Boon House - 1847
  • Water Power Exhibits
  • Mission Mill Views
  • Map - Directions - Hours
  • Raw Wool To Fabric
  • Wool Fabric Finishing

  • Mission Mill Entrance
  • Employee's Time Clock
  • Wool Picking Machine
  • Wool Carding Machine
  • Repeated Power Carding
  • Carded Wool Spooled
  • Spooled Spun Spindled
  • 3rd Floor Spinning Room
  • Dressing Prepares Warp
  • Dressing Closeup View
  • Warp Pattern Spooled
  • Heddle Guides Threads
  • Mission Mill Power Loom
  • Power Loom and Heddle
  • Geared Chain Drives



  • Salem Oregon Community Guide
    1994-2007 - all rights reserved